Sunday, July 12, 2009

First Impressions

Before I go any farther, it is quite clear I need spell check. If you did not understand what I was trying to say in previous posts, well tough luck, I am not editing them, I think such things should be as they are written.

There are things you notice when you first get here, the first is perhaps the smell. It is always hot and humid here, the vegetation is lush, but short lived for the most part. That translates into a background of, not really rot, but the smell of over-ripe vegetable matter.

Next is bugs. I don't have any pictures yet, but damn. I regularly see ants over an inch long, and the no-see-ems are in almost visible clouds. The result is these guys:



Meet Chester. He and perhaps half a billion of his relatives keep the bug population down. Honestly, these guys are everywhere. We are building a 7 storey office building, I have seen them on the top floor. I found one, about an inch and a half long in my shower. And their name? Redneck Lizard. Honestly. Reminds me of some guys I met in New Orleans. But they were not nearly as useful.

Next topic. Damn it is flat here. Like living on a pool table. It is out of sequence, but here are a couple of pics from the top of a 7 story building:

and 180 degrees...


My house is just a bit down the second driveway on the left. Prodeco brings "architecture by Xerox" to a whole new level. Most of the things they build are from their precast concrete legos.

Now for something different. There are a few pluses for being here, one is PRAWNS! Okay, this is $6.00 of shrimp:


Yes, five of them, and they are the size of hot dogs. Tasty too.

No comments:

Post a Comment