Saturday, August 29, 2009

Names in Nigeria

Since I am home, rather than talk about incidents I think it would be good to cover things I have learned. One of the first things, and to me actually very heart warming, was about people's names.

Nigerians, much like many Asians here in the US, often have two names. Their (as I think of it) true name which comes from their tribe and their European name. Though since the country's independence this seems to be changing.

I was told when I arrived that I would find some Nigerian names unusual. To be honest, I did. Names like "Present", "Handiwork", and "Gift" are unusual here in the US. But then I began learning about Nigerians. First, they are a very devout people. For the Christians I have met, and I am assuming for the Muslims I don't think I have met, God is a major part of their lives. Second is names in Nigeria have meaning. With this in mind you realize that names like "Gift", "Blessing", "Godwin", and "Prince" translate into the way the parents felt about their child when it became time to give it a name. I think that is pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment